Friday, January 26, 2007


My name is Vesna Pavlovic, and I am completing my MFA degree in Visual Arts at Columbia University in New York. My concentration is photography. I’ve graduated with a degree in cinematography studies from the Academy of Dramatic Arts in Belgrade. In my photographs and installations, I look into visual representations behind different groups in society, and while doing so, question the representation of the photographic medium itself. Issues of taste, desire and expectation, friction of performance, set in different contexts, are prevailing themes in my work. I have exhibited widely, including solo shows at the Museum of History of Yugoslavia in Belgrade and at Crocker Art Museum in Sacramento, CA. My work has been featured in group exhibitions at the Museum of Contemporary Art in Belgrade, Photographers’ Gallery in London, Kettle’s Yard in Cambridge, Akademie der Bildenen Kunste in Vienna, Center for Contemporary Art in Vilnius, and Palau de la Verreina in Barcelona. I was the award winner at the 40th October Salon in Belgrade, in 2001, for my photographic series Herzlich Willkommen Im Hotel Hyatt Belgrad, April 1999. I have closely cooperated with the peace activist group Women in Black, founded in 1991.

No comments: